04 Nov ‘Just Children’ Experts Roundtable
We held the first Just Children roundtable event with professionals and service users in partnership with Just for Kids Law and Children’s Rights Alliance for England. Chaired by Maggie Atkinson, and with youth justice experts around the table, all contributed to the debate around what good practice already existed and what was needed for development.
Key messages from the event were:
- Children’s rights discourse hasn’t worked in the past
- Work around media presentations of children/teens in the media failed
- Service users should be involved at all levels of the conversation
- Positive approaches – what’s right, rather than what’s wrong
- Development around brain development and maturity
- Think about inequalities in the system, re BAME, Girls, and LAC
- Look at early intervention and social care also
- Don’t duplicate!